Jon Wood at MMORPG.com has an interesting editorial about 5 IPs designed to bring in more female gamers here. They are somewhat bland. It’s just as easy to list them:
- Harry Potter
- Star Trek
- Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys
A sixth one that recurs a lot in the comment thread is Pokemon, but good luck with that, considering Nintendo is still painfully slow at making online anything. My thoughts are that they are good picks, but didn’t the Sims Online fail? As for Nancy Drew maybe, but I don’t think any boy reads the Hardy Boys. I’ll add my own five designed to reach the female demographic:
- Kingdom Hearts. Bigger than Harry Potter IMO in terms of MMO draw.
- Harvest Moon. Farming is the next big thing.
- Disgaea. D0od. Prinnies transcend gender divides.
- .hack. Mostly because the series tends to have strong female characters, and the meta-game aspect would be fun.
- American Girl. This is a long shot, but a historically based MMO targeting that audience would have little competition, especially id marketed smartly.
What do you think?